Last updated: 21st October 2020
The most logical way to introduce cryptocurrencies (crypto) would look like this:
- The birth of cryptocurrency: Bitcoin
- Understanding blockchain technology
- Where to buy Bitcoins (BTC)
- Alternatives to Bitcoin (Altcoins aka ALTS)
- MCO Card – Intro to crypto for beginners
I now understand why the Marvel Avengers series didn’t screen the superhero movies in order. Sometimes, it’s just best not to. I decided that the easiest way to ease you into crypto is through the MCO token from the company Crypto.com. This card is currently available in Singapore and in the United States and is shipping to these countries: Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam.
The biggest problem of cryptocurrencies for most people lies in its utility and its accessibility. However, with the MCO Card, you can now:
Then came Crypto.com, a 2016 Hong Kong based blockchain start-up. Fast forward, we now have a VISA debit card that allows us to transfer/deposit Bitcoin and other Altcoins into the crypto.com wallet (you can download it from the Apple or Android store on your phone). These cryptos can then be spent like any other normal VISA debit card, except, it’s more than ordinary. These are some popular coins/tokens out of the many that are accepted in the app:
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- CryptoCom (CRO)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Ripple (XRP)
Crypto.com’s native token is MCO
To use, simply convert any one of your favourite cryptocurrencies into SGD, HKD, AUD, GBP, JPY and EUR.
You can also cash out* at any of these ATM5 Network ATMS.
- Bank of China
- Bank of India
- Standard Chartered
*Not available in Singapore due to new regulations.
So what are the benefits of this crypto VISA card or perhaps the better question to ask is, “Why should I switch from my regular credit/debit cards to this MCO card?” The answer lies with the plethora of benefits that this card offers:
To me, the three biggest benefit of owning the MCO card has to be the:
- 3% cash back (for my card tier) on ANY purchase. This means that my general miles spending card will be replaced by this card.
- The fact that there’s a limited supply of MCO (31.5 million) There are only so many MCO tokens, but the number of people using this card will grow. It’s like my little passive investment from spending money. Of course, I could choose to spend my MCO cash back at any time, but that would be killing the golden goose!
- Can be used for Bus and MRT in Singapore (As of 16th June 2019)
- Ability to stake bitcoins & other cryptocurrencies for interest
If you’re interested in getting an MCO card:
- Use the code [ qf2ers2nkp ] to get $50 USD with valid transaction* and either transfer CRO from one of the crypto exchanges into the wallet, go through Instarem / Transferwise OR purchase through a credit card.
Use my referral link: https://platinum.crypto.com/r/qf2ers2nkp
to sign up for Crypto.com and we both get $50 USD 🙂
*A valid transaction is staking at least 1000 CRO to receive the reward (MCO Visa Card Reservation)
To go to the original crypto.com website, click here.
Disclosure: I hold a small amount of Bitcoin, MCO and other cryptocurrencies.
Views and opinions expressed are those of the author and should not be taken as investment advice. Buying and trading cryptocurrencies should be considered a high-risk activity. As usual, readers are advised to “Do Your Own Due Diligence” (DYODD) before taking any action related to content within this article.